How To Build Leg Muscle In 5 Moves. In shorts or bikinis, powerful legs always make a statement. Although some of us enjoy a lean and toned lower body, others enjoy having definition and growth in our legs. In order to achieve those results, you’re going to need to isolate your muscles. Our guide to building leg muscle is the perfect way to bulk up and make your legs a pair of powerhouses.
Equipment Needed: medium-heavy dumbbells (12-20 lbs), bench/chair
What to Do: Perform each exercise for 12 reps. For alternating exercises, doing your left and right equals 1 rep. For exercise 4 and 5 complete both sides of your leg before moving on. Rest 1 minute after each exercise. Perform this workout twice a week on non-consecutive days.
Beginner’s Level: 3 rounds
Intermediate-Advanced: 4 rounds
1. Alternating Dumbbell Lunge
2. Romanian Deadlifts
3. Alternating Step Back Lunges
4. Stationary Dumbbell Lunge Pulses
5. Bulgarian Split Squat
Alternating Dumbbell Lunge
Alternating Step Back Lunges
Stationary Dumbbell Lunge Pulses
Bulgarian Split Squat
Additional Tips for Success
1. Your leg muscles are large and need heavy weights in order to see results. Start with medium weights to get a feel for the movements. After a week take on more challenging weights.
2. Isolating your leg muscles will have them sore for awhile. In order to speed up the healing process, stretch in the morning and night. You can also try foam rolling which offers faster relief.
3. Lunges require a lot of balance. Before you start an exercise make sure your body is supported correctly.
4. Keep your cor tight throughout the exercises to avoid back strain.
5. Switch the routine up occasionally so your body doesn’t get used it. This will help to promote growth.
Photo credit: Pixabay